Proposal for Instituting Effective Computer Education in Nigerian Public Secondary Schools
During my time as Uredo House Junior Captain in Federal Government College, Ugwolawo, Kogi State (Year 2003/2004), a handful of my juniors were Computer literate. Whenever these computer literate students disagreed on the procedure for getting a task done on a computer they turned to me, their House Captain for clarity and final say. Each time this happened, I pacified them not to argue – I had not held a mouse at the time. Shortly after graduating from Secondary school, I enrolled for Computer training.
Years later, I undertook my one year National Youth Service at Ijaloke Grammar School, in Emure-Ekiti, Ekiti State. Upon resumption at Ijaloke, I was taken aback by the Vice principal confirmation that the school lived in the typewriters age. At this revelation, I requested her to reject my posting with the intent of seeking for a Place of Primary Assignment at the State Capital – Ado Ekiti. The Vice principal convinced me to stay back to create the change I wanted to see. I accepted the challenge.
I lead the effort that got the Schools administrative block reconnected to PHCN, set up a computer room and became the pioneer computer room teacher. Before then, I had adopted a Computer training center within the community where I introduced selected students to basic Computer application. The arrangement was possible with the support from the Center owner, Ayodele Cephas and an elite group within the community that donated NGN 20,000 for fueling the generator. Ekiti State Government under the administration of Governor Kayode Fayemi, donated two (2) new Desktop computers to the School.
I left Emure fulfilled, the school had an active computer training room with 5 Computers, 30 students knowledgeable in basic Application Software – Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel. Typing and printing of Examination questions became domiciled in the school.
In 2017, many public schools remain in the typewriters age. Some of them manage to teach computer theory. This development is largely due to a lack of commitment and coordinated effort in ensuring that Public school students are grounded in Computer application upon graduation.
My Emure-Ekiti experience afforded me firsthand experience of how effective computer education can be institutionalized in Nigerian public schools. This is important in an age that the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) is administered by Computer Based Test. More important is the realization that computer education in an ICT age is empowerment and must have skill.
Given the foregoing, I am putting forward this proposal to you and request your financial and moral support in making it a reality.
- Institute practical, hands-on computer training in Nigerian Public Secondary Schools.
- Training to include computer programming for interested students
- Introduce Graphic Designing to Fine Arts Curricular
- Introduce Digital Marketing to Secondary School Students.
- Design/Prepare a training Curricula – in Progress.
- Get selected schools to set aside a building for computer education.
- Equip computer room with at least 20 Desktops Computer/Laptop. With support from government, philanthropist, old students’ associations, individuals and corporate bodies.
- Trainers will largely be Corps members. They will earn allowance for their efforts and commitment. Youths within the affected communities can also volunteer to support the project.
- Old Students Associations
- Parent Teacher Associations
- Corporate Organisations
- Community Associations/Groups
- Federal/State Ministry of Education
To form alignment with identified Computer training centers within communities to train selected students at subsidized rate. Training fees to be provided by sponsors – Individuals, Corporate organisations, Community leaders etc
I call upon all Nigerians to support this project by doing any of the following:
- Sponsor at least one child for Computer training at a cost of NGN 10,000.
- Donate Desktop Computer/Laptop to this project.
- Use your sphere of influence to initiate this project within your community.
- Contribute ideas on how to actualize this plan within your immediate community.
All contributions to this project will be duly acknowledged. Regular reports will be given on the implementation and beneficiaries. Lets do this for posterity and the betterment of the Nigerian Child. Thank You.
For sponsorship/enquiries/support you can reach me via email@example.com & 07052193183